Thursday, November 18, 2010

Homeless for the Holidays

The nice people of BuzzPlant sent a DVD for me to review recently.  It's called "Homeless for the Holidays" and we finally got to watch it tonight.  In case you have an itchy clicker-finger, here is the movie's website: http://homelessfortheholidaysmovie.com

It seems like finding a good family-friendly movie isn't as difficult to find anymore and, for that, I am grateful.  I am thankful that there are people who make sacrifices so that we can gather around the television without having to worry about covering little eyes and ears.  "Homeless for the Holidays," while having some "cheesy" moments, doesn't fail to deliver in this aspect.  The movie actually is approved by the Dove Foundation and I have to agree with their assessment.  It's so refreshing to sit down and enjoy a show without any awkward moments.  In fact, the only time I squirmed in my seat was when I tried to put myself in the lead character's and his family's shoes.  Without giving anything away, this film has a great storyline and will make you think about your own life.

Cheesy?  Yes- there are some parts that I hate to use that word to describe, but there is really only one scene that I think the movie could have done without and maybe the final cut won't have it (grocery store).  As far as the "faith-based" part- none of that was cheesy at all.  :-)  Nothing was cut-and-dried or storybook- some things you think might happen won't.  I like that it wasn't too predictable.

One of the best parts about this movie is that it's based on a true story.  When you walk away from it, you won't be thinking, "Yeah, right!  Like that would EVER happen!"  Well, I hope that, regarding the things that play out in the ending, that these things never will STOP happening and that we will all strive to be like the Baker family.

If you get bogged down in the middle, please hang on and bear with the film.  You won't be sorry.  Ah, and watch the credits for some pretty funny outtakes!

I know this was done on a very small budget and I applaud the producers and actors and everyone involved.  I'm very thankful for a film that makes my family think and reminds us what the Reason for the Season is all about.  I hope that, as people view this movie, they will focus on the story and not so much the smaller details.

If any of you are interested, you can buy "Homeless for the Holidays" on DVD in select Christian bookstores as well as the website mentioned above.  Here is the link again: http://homelessfortheholidaysmovie.com  In fact, I just saw it advertised in our Family Christian Stores circular :-).

Happy viewing and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Amy

No comments: