Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Because I'm up way past my bedtime but wanted to update this..

I'm copy/pasting what I just wrote on Ethan's CaringBridge page :-)


I can't believe 2010 is coming to a close already!  It's been a great year for our family, despite my father's declining health/battle with dementia.  If you think about it, please pray for him and those back in Alabama who are caring for him.  I miss the "good ol days" when the worst thing that happened was a lost set of teeth.  At this point, he's not able to get up out of a chair by himself.  

Wow.  Sorry for starting off with such a sad paragraph there!  It's just that, I was reflecting on "our" year (as far as Ethan's heart health) and kind of looked past all the issues with Dad.  I didn't want to leave it at "It's been a great year..." without including him b/c, while it's been a good year out here in TX, it's been kind of bad at times back home.

Soooooo...

We have had a big December!  Ethan turned two, as you know, and we closed on a new (to us) home in the great city of McKinney.  Since he's two, we could have gifted him the stairs in our home for Christmas AND his birthday, because he sure does love tromping up them and scooting (on belly or bottom) back down!  Santa who?  No, we couldn't do that!  While we didn't get a great photo-op with Santa (the two pics we have, I'm practically in Santa's lap with Ethan clinging to me for dear life!), I tried explaining the wonderment of belief in preparation for next year and E did score some great loot from the jolly fellow clad in red.  Next year should be a hoot!!

We had our annual Amazing Little Hearts holiday party on the 11th (the day after movers came and moved most of our stuff from our old house to the new, leaving my inlaws to figure out the rest- bless them!) and it was great, as always.  It was really neat to see "new" families with their babies OUTSIDE the hospital- it's hard to believe Ethan was ever that small!  It's also great to be able to see Dr. Mendeloff and Dr. Thomas in a more relaxed setting.  Dr. M is still on level with Santa as far as popularity!  There is always a long line to say thanks, share a hug,  or snap a quick photo.  We love our doctors!

Christmas Day, we joined the rest of our ALH families who could make it and took food to the Congenital Heart Surgery Unit at Medical City for staff and families to partake.  What a hit!  I have never seen so much food, and so much variety!  We had traditional dressing and the normal veggies, ham and rolls, TAMALES (homemade!), HUMMUS, stuffed grape leaves, various salads and yummy desserts.  We ate well and the nurses and staff were shocked at the spread we left for them.  Our families are awesome!  It's great to give back, especially after you've spent your baby's first Christmas (and New Year's) in the hospital.  

One thing we can be thankful for through all of this (and all the ups and downs and losses I've seen in the lives of families around me, whether in person or via the Internet) is that we don't take anything for granted with Ethan.  Sure, he tries our patience and sure we get onto him for different things but, we love that little boy more than anything on this earth and we know how special he is and how lucky we are to have him with us.  He is definitely a firecracker but tempers that with amazing charm and sweetness.  One of my favorite things he does lately happens at bedtime.  Dillon and I have a routine where we both help get him changed and his teeth brushed and we both take him to his bed and let him "jump" in (after we've had our hugs and kisses).  We then say our prayers and tell him good night.  Used to, that would be enough and it's finally OUR time to just do whatever.  For a while now, he's been calling out for us, usually with a "Yayayayayaya!"  It is comical to make him wait and see what other forms of "Yayayayaya!" he comes up with.  Every once in a while, he'll throw in a "MAMA!" or "DADA!" but it's mostly, "Yayayaya! Ya ya!  Yayayayayaya!"  Anyway, one of us will go in and he'll immediately lay down, expecting to be covered up and then we leave again.  Now, when I go in there, he'll wave his hand towards the ground (asking me to sit in front of his bed), stretch out his little arm and say, "Hand," wanting me to reach thru the slats and hold his.  This means I'm going to be at least 5-15 minutes in the hole on my "me" time but do you think I sternly say no and tell him to go to sleep?  No way!  I know these days are short and I love the feeling of his little fingers wrapped around my index finger (and sometimes my thumb if he's really ambitious and gets me with both his hands!).  

I sit in front of his crib, stroking his little knuckles with my thumb and try and remember what it was like when those little fingers only took up 1/4 to 1/2 of my finger.  Where has the time gone?  My baby boy is becoming more of a big boy every day and it pierces my heart yet warms it at the same time.  I love him with every fiber of my being and promise him every night, during the sweet time when he clings to my finger for all it's worth, that I'll not take a minute of our time together for granted, all the while asking God to help me be the mom that Ethan deserves.  I pray for Dillon and me.  I pray for our family.  Sometimes, I sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" or make up some other song that when I'm done, I wish that I could remember the words.  I know these moments won't last forever.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read this.  Thank you for joining with me in praying for families with heart babies/kiddos and those others who have kids who are facing serious health issues.  Ben Clough and Bayleigh Phillips come to mind, as well as those who just spent their first Christmas without loved ones or lost loved ones (even yesterday- rest in peace, Susie).  May 2011 bring you many blessings and that you will take the time to stop and appreciate life and the good AND bad around you for it's through the bad we learn to savor the good.  God loves you.  He has a plan for you in all this crazy madness.  

Happy New Year!


Amy, Dillon and Ethan 

No comments: