Friday, May 12, 2006

MMMMMMAYDAY!!

Oy.

I gotta think that God has an excellent sense of humor.

I had a brief meeting yesterday with a representative of the teacher certification program I've been talking about. Yes, my science classes (Though heavily PE oriented) will count. Yes, they really need science teachers. Yes, it's a very lucrative discipline in the teaching world. No, I really don't have all that much time to decide as I NEED TO REALLY PIN IT DOWN THIS WEEKEND!!!

*in best Scooby Doo voice* "Uuuhhh??" "Ruh-ro."

I'm so frazzled, I dunno what to type first!! Hehehehehe...

I'm not at peace with any of it (then again, I'm not often at peace with any decision-oriented thing...except maybe dinner).

Here's the timeline:

I need to fill out an application and online interview ASAP ($50).
I need to get 3 references ASAP.
The orientation for science teachers is next TUESDAY.
The career expo/job fair for candidates is next WEDNESDAY.
The deadline for registering for the TeXes (test required to be able to teach) is next THURSDAY.
The study session for TeXes is June 3 (We were planning on driving back from Alabama on that day).
The TeXes test ($117) is June 10.
Science training is a weekend in June (5-8pm).
$450 training charge is due after application is processed. There's a $3200 internship fee and some others here and there. They deduct the $3200 out of your paycheck once you are hired. If I pass the TeXes (and a science pre-test to even get into the program), I'll get certified. I can teach without passing, but on a probationary basis, I think.

What I'm looking at is 4-8 life science or 9-12 life science. (because that's what is needed)

PE would be so much easier :p. They reserve all those type classes for coaches. I've already been told that the Biology needs at one school also involve coaching or cheerleading sponsorship. ACK.

I really don't know....

She said it would be very hard to find an elementary job.....

Dillon and I will talk about it later tonight, but mucho prayers will be appreciated. One of the last things the lady I spoke with told me was, "People shouldn't do this if they're just needing a job." I need to really explore my motives. I know that I'd be studying my rear off trying to relearn everything from 9th grade to college biology just to be prepared to teach it.

Thanks!

10 comments:

September said...

Wow... no pressure there, eh? lol

Prayers for you. :-)

The Great Mooski said...

:-)

Thanks. My 1st and 3rd pd science teacher here at school unloaded a Biology book on me to study. Hahahahaha...OY!!! That sucker not only weighs a ton, but can you say, "OVERWHELMING?" ;-)

You know, though...once I am certified, I can test for any discipline. In other words, if I don't feel that science is working out for me and I still feel the pull to elementary and/or PE, then I can test for those as well.

Oy.

Emily said...

Wow... that's a lot. hugs and prayers... keep us updated!!!

Slicer said...

Just a reminder to read your last post to see your apprehension about working with high school students...
I think that you will do fine, BTW.
Maybe the accelerated pace of this opportunity will be stimulating and challenging enough to be worth the risk.
What would you really like to be doing next Fall?

I'll be praying.

The Great Mooski said...

I love you guys!!

I wish I could accurately convey to you in this post how I'm feeling about all this. Just take a bowl of spaghetti in one hand and then fling it up against the wall. See how the noodles are all splayed about and the sauce is oozing down the wall? That's how I feel ;-).

I've been one to shy away from challenges in the past; then again, I've also been one to do something because I feel I "need to."

That wonderful husband of mine is about to slap me silly. He just keeps telling me not to stress and to do what I WANT to do. He's very in tune to that kind of thing...and I love him for it. He's also been extra-sure I know I'm loved recently. He's definitely a keeper! (as much of a dork as he can be....)

Anyway...

I know, Matt. High school kids. Then again, I think it all comes down to how I am easily intimidated. I don't see myself as a 31 year old. I still think I'm a kid who doesn't know any better. I think part of that is b/c everyone tells me how young I look. I guess I sometimes feel as if I'm not taken seriously, so I compensate (and sometimes OVER) by being gruff.

What do I want to do in the fall? That's the thing. Look at the spaghetti. So many directions I could go in. I am trying to hone in on one...but I get sidetracked. I have directional ADD.

I've been seeing a counselor and she had me "look back" into my childhood and try and think up the very first thing I ever said I wanted to be when I got older. I went blank. I feel like I did when I was about to go into college....she thinks a lot of my inability to focus is b/c of Mom passing away so recently and all that....but I've felt this way a long time....

There's lots of stuff I like to do. Lots. That's the problem. Jack of all trades; master of none.

I'm thinking of looking into Family Christian or LifeWay (there's a Mardel here, too). That puts me in a Christian environment, I get to talk about stuff I like, and I get to help people. I can't exactly promote SCC's latest record at school......

If you guys are reading this today (Sunday), would you pray that I'd have some headway tomorrow? I'm going to try and go to those places after work. I would like to start part-time this summer and work into a full-time job for fall. I don't know if that will work...but I want to try. Also, Dillon is going to check with his work about how much it will be (and when I could be added) for me to be on his insurance. That's another concern....and if we have kiddos.....and all that.

:-)

Never a dull moment...NEVER!!!

The Great Mooski said...

Why do I have to make things so hard?

Sylvia, being a grownup isn't always complicated. I'm just a great example of how NOT to live..

I applied at Family Christian and Mardel today. I have an interview tomorrow evening with the manager at Mardel.

Sigh. I just want to be happy and not so stinking worried.

fatchans said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fatchans said...

Deep peace of the running wave to you. Deep peace of the flowing air to you. Deep peace of the quiet earth to you. Deep peace of the shining stars to you. Deep peace of the gentle night to you; moon and stars pour their healing light on you. Deep peace of Christ, the light of the world, to you.

I wish I could send you John Rutter's recording of this Gaelic Blessing!

The Great Mooski said...

Thanks, John!!! :-)

Oh..I just have to tell you guys.

I wish I could teach Health. The other day, the teacher pronounced "cirrhosis" "psoriasis" and "ureters" as "uterus!"

OY!!

Doggone those classes that are only part time and require coaching...

fatchans said...

Tell the health teacher how urinating it is when people don't pronounce words correctly.