Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I, I will survive...

Howdy.

Day 2 is over and I'm already tiring of technical "teacher speak." :-p We kicked the day off with convocation at 7:30. Everyone in the disrict donned their school's colors and shuttled, carpooled or drove to Prestonwood Baptist Church (aka the "Baptidome") for our little "kick off" to the school year. Last year, it was held in the afternoon and, in my opinion, that's a much better time to get folks in the mood for kicking off (instead of kicking AT) something ;-). Actually, everyone was pretty with it (don't ask about how they were doing this afternoon...lol...can you say "glassy eyed??"). Me and 5 other colleagues had the...umm...privilege of interpreting the event. We have 3 Deaf on staff and since each sat with their respective schools, 2 of us were assigned to each. Gotta love teaming. I tell ya...I wouldn't have made it thru 2 hours of presentations, cheers, songs, and playful "educational" banter w/o being able to trade off with someone. Of course, when you "team," you are still on the clock in case the person you're working with needs a sign fed to them now and again (Emily will know what I'm talking about).

Since I got up at 5:30AM and I am a professed night owl, I managed to forget my glasses. It wasn't too bad and I got the chance to "swing (across town!)" home and grab them after it was over with. It's good I did b/c Giggs had found the dryer lint bucket in the laundry room and also got hold of a napkin to shred. Sometimes I wonder why we even bought a cross-cut shredder. We should just let the dog do it!!!

The rest of the day was more teacher meetings/workshops and interpreting them. Our shining monent was when the principal of the school we are working at (for the week...for me, anyway) stood and acknowleged what a great job we (interpreters) were doing and asked everyone to thank us (with applause). One of my coworkers said that in the 7 yrs she's been working at this school, that was the first time someone thanked the interpreters. It meant a lot. We were fried by the end of the day!!! "Administration" "Legislation" "Reformation" "Proliferation" Oh man...shoot me now!! LOL

On a side note, have y'all used Terra Server or Google Earth yet? Yikes!! You can zoom in to see your house!!!! (It's on the news....sorry for the diversion) Dillon's had it on his computer for a while. While it's neat to "visit" other places, it's kind of weird. I'm just glad it's not a live feed!!!! YIKES!

9 comments:

The Great Mooski said...

"monent??" I meant "moment!"

LOL!!

The Great Mooski said...

I need to learn to set the clock when I post....it's actually 5pm...

The Great Mooski said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily said...

Sigh... I SO understand the teaming bit!! :) Good for you - sounds like you got a bit of an arm workout! GREAT for the FDWers! :) hehe

Slicer said...

Now you're gonna make me have to go and download Google Earth :-P

September said...

How was the rest of your week, Amy?

The Great Mooski said...

it was fine.. we got back from tyler (dillon's mom's bday today) and found our electricity off. but, we ended up meeting some new neighbors whom we have a few things in common with! the husband knew right away who the newsboys are (from my tshirt) as well as manchester united (from dillon's)! bonus!!!!

tomorrow (err...later today) is the first day the kids come back and my first "full" day. i'm not too crazy about my schedule, but it could definitely be worse!!!

thanks for asking!!!

Slicer said...

Day 2 was so bad that you haven't even posted anything since!?

The Great Mooski said...

*yawns*

Hmm?? Whazzat??

No, I haven't posted b/c I have been in a napping coma since work started (I am no Slicer, that's for sure!).

I will update as soon as I can break myself from giving in to the sleep zombie. Not enough time tonight. :-) Thanks for checking on me!

I will say this: I HATE INTERPRETING MATH!! Blah!