Tuesday, September 06, 2005

If you're reading, would you say a prayer?

I'm having job woes again. Not that I don't have a job...but because I feel I'm stuck in a holding pattern.

Most of you who know me probably understand my situation, so I won't make this a 5 paragraph dealio. My heart is somewhat heavy and I am starting to feel overwhelmed.

Most who get into the field I'm in (I'm assuming), don't do so for the money. However, I have it on good authority that there ARE folks out there who are being compensated VERY fairly for their work....and....we're not. To be honest, it's not that much about the money as it is I'm still trying to figure out who God wants me to be. However, as I'm scoping out the path, I feel an injustice is occurring. Plus, if I'm going to get paid a minimal wage (compared to the "standard"), I'm starting to realize I might as well do something that I like to do instead of something I feel obligated to do "just because I know the language."

Please don't assume that I think I'm "all that" or anything. I'm SOOO not!!! In fact, that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting out of the biz. It's one thing to hear a Psychology lecture and bring it to a level where I can understand it....but to translate it into another language for someone else to??? Ugh. Sensory overload. It can be a bit depressing when things get complicated and I get bogged down trying to figure out how to sign it where it makes sense.

There I go, straying from my promise not to make this long. What paragraph is this anyway??? Oy!

3 comments:

September said...

*Hugs* and prayers from me, too.

Love ya.

Slicer said...

You know I'll be praying!

Emily said...

Ever think about freelance instead of educational?

I don't know what you get paid in your part of the country, but in WA I think ed terps get paid... about $14-18/hour. On the contract with the state (which some interpreters say is way too low) freelance starts at $25 for non-certified up to $55 for NAD 5's.