Sunday, July 10, 2005

Street Team blues...

Anyone who listens to music and has branched out into this cyber world of ours knows that street teams are all the rage among record labels now. They know there are masses of fans out there who are chomping at the bit to see their favorite bands come to town and more fans means more $$.

I love the street team ideal: bringing the message to the masses BY the masses. Totally jive with that. There's nothing I like better than spreading the word about what an impact Steven Curtis Chapman has had on my spiritual walk and life, in general. I love doing that so much, that I signed up for his street team, as well as a couple others whose artists I relate to. The only problem is, sometimes the projects are beyond what I can do as a fan. Well...are beyond what I want to do, that is.

Take for instance, the "roundup." This is where a street teamer e-mails hordes of his/her friends, imploring them to join "The Force." This is one of the key strategies of those in power, and, as such, they reward their recruiters with great prizes. I don't mind emailing my friends who listen to CCM about things like this. What I don't like is that they have a target number of folks they'd like us to email. Needless to say, I don't have that many folks in my address book. And, if I did, not all listen to CCM, not all are in the age demographic that enjoys all things online, and I venture that some would be put off.

I want to spread the word about his music...not so much ask folks to join the team. If it means merely posting a link or something on a message board here and there, that's cool. But to personally invade someone's inbox is something beyond my comfort zone.

Am I a sissy fan for feeling this way? Comments?

By the way, if anyone reading this IS interested in joining, here are two of the teams I'm involved with: www.groundforcenetwork.com (use the referral code 1891, please) and www.themovement.fan2band.com. Hopefully, those links will work for you. Thanks for enduring that shameless plug.

Have a great rest-of-Sunday!

2 comments:

Slicer said...

I'm with you on the blues portion of street team activity. I'm a huge fan, but not a rabid one ;-)
The powers that be are actually asking us to spam which is a big nono.
I say do what you can and don't worry about the "rewards". I like your method better anyway.
Funny how similar this example is to the way some churches approach witnessing for Christ. Some are guerrilla, some more subtle.
I like subtle.

The Great Mooski said...

Thanks for that comment. It's good to know that I am not alone.

:-)