Saturday, July 09, 2005

Whataburger

Well, today's dining didn't quite come off as healthy as last night's. For those who are just dying to know what was on our plates, here goes. Are you ready??

Breakfast: Chic-fil-A biscuits (buy one get one free, compliments of coupons from Celebrate Freedom last weekend). Yay for "Christian" chicken ;-) :-p.

Lunch: leftovers. I had a bratwurst sandwich with some olive spread on it....For those of you going "ewwwww.." the spread is hard to explain, but it's really good. Lotsa different olives chopped up, kinda like what's on a muffaletta (however you spell that). You can go have your very own lil bucket (ha) from SAM's for $6.42, I believe. Yummy stuff that has lasted quite a while (and has a long shelf-life, as long as it's kept refrigerated after opening). I think Dill had hotdogs and some chips and salsa (Texans call it hot sauce).

Dinner: Let me preface this by saying I spent WAY MORE TIME than should be allowed for a wife on a Saturday at electronics stores. Holy bovines! We ended up going to look for a wireless USB adapter for my father-in-law who is onlineshopaphobic (The only place you can find the exact one he needs is online). Well, there are other versions (hence our "hunt"), but that one is the ideal one.

Anyway, we are at one place and find something $20 cheaper than what he paid for it in their hometown (they don't have this particular store there). Well, we went ahead and got it for him, and he plans to return the one he got (He hadn't opened it. I know some of you were holding your breath over that one.). Weeeellll, we go to the next major chain and find something like the "coveted" one, only there was SOME question as to whether or not it would work. There was ONE left...the sales guy told me "Nope. Doesn't work with TiVo." Hmm...it was gonna be $4.99 after rebates. The bargain hunter in me wanted to cling to the box with all I had, but I put it down and we went on our way to the next aisle. There was a more pricey one, but the FIL wasn't at home to make sure it was compatible with his system (Bored yet??). We decided to go on to the NEXT major chain. We got as far as the parking space closest to our car when the phone rang. He wanted the one I had picked up. By this time, we're in the car, on our way out of the lot. I tell Dill to just drop me off and I'd go in and get the other adapter. I get in there and, guess what??? IT'S GONE!! I see the guy who helped us was busy, so I found another guy who checked the other place they had them and said it was the last one. :-S I'm thinking to myself, "Not 5 minutes was I gone, and someone got it?? The sales guy acted like it was useless! Hmmm...I'm gonna ask him what happened." Well, the patient bargain hunter was now looking for some retribution (whether warranted or not!). He finishes up with the folks he's helping and has spotted me. He seems to have conjured up 2 coworkers for moral support. The one on the right says, "Can I help you, ma'am?" I lock eyes with THE ONE in the middle and say, "Yes....that USB adapter. That's the one we need. Have any more?" He paused a sec and said "Hold on." Now, I don't know what happened, but here he appeared with the box in hand! I take the box and go to find Dillon in my sudden rush of victory. He's all bowing down to me and telling his dad that I found it, but now we have to wait and see if it's for sure compatible with their system and/or does THEIR store have it. Hmph. We wait. He calls, is hung up on (I'm sure, accidentally) and then is put on hold for longer than he's willing to wait (I'm sure the first try was what put him off...). We decide to go ahead and get it. If they find one at their place and it works, our plan was to keep the other one for ourselves and use it. (Should I mention that the rebates always come in twos or end up to be not as great as they did before you actually get the item up to the checkout counter and go thru the fiine print?)

After that, we headed to a Christian bookstore where I felt more in my element (it's close to the above mentioned electronics store). Got a good bargain book and the newest Veggie Tales DVD. Oh, and we also saw they now have spiral notebooks and folders with Christian artists on them. How funny, but kind of cool, is that? We actually found one with the Newsboys on it that we purchased for my sister-in-law as sort of a joke.

We decide to head back to the first store and return the first adapter we bought. I stayed in the car and started on the book I had just purchased while Dillon went in and braved the return line. A little later, he came back with this kind of "grin" on his face, though I knew it was more of the "Please don't kill me" kind. His dad had just called and said they found the adapter we'd just purchased at THEIR store. :-o Well, if it works with our system, we're keeping it!!

How does that tie into dinner? At this point, all ideas of"slow, healthy food" are being brutally devoured by my now "psycho" appetite. Whataburger was the closest joint and so there we went (to hubby's delight. He and his father share the Whataburger gene).

On the menu was:

Dillon: A1 Thick and Hearty (or heart-stopping burger) Meal
Me: Whataburger Jr. meal

Boy, now aren't you glad you stopped by to see if I'd written any exciting updates? :-

We're off to watch some soccer. US vs Canada on the Spanish channel. Fun stuff! The only thing I have understood thus far is the logo up next to the score. It's the famous golden arches with the words "Me encanta" next to it. I don't need to tell you what it means, though. Everyone knows Mickey D's is a universal language!

Hasta la pasta,

Amy

No comments: